5/07/2013

Makin' The Most of It.

Looks like the weather is trying to change for the better and I for one am going to try to do the best I can for as long as I can.  I do tend to start early and need a nap but there is just so much a guy can do.  Yesterday I got rid of a couple of truck frames and an old pickup cab.  Today I expect to get a couple of dump truck loads of gravel and tomorrow I expect to have a garden shed kit delivered.   Sometime today I am going over to the new lumber yard in town and see if they have a swing set in stock.  There are a couple of little girls in Kansas City that they tell me are swingers, or enjoy going to the park to swing.  It gets harder to remember when you get old.

I saw on Facebook a story about a guy retiring after 31 years in the Military.  He spent all of his time at the retirement reception thanking all the people that made it possible.  I don't think people really understand what Military types have to give up to keep a career going.  This is especially true of those in the Guard and Reserves.  The old family saying was, "Don't get Buried or Married on Denny's Drill."  It didn't stop the rest of the people's schedule, it just meant that I would not be there.  In addition to all the hours I spent at work, one weekend a month (at a minimum) and two weeks every summer I would be somewhere doing my Military Thing.  For those of us in the Guard, we also had to pursue our Military Education.  Completing the Advance Course and Command and General Staff College was another job.  It was a promotion requirement and not a paid position.

With that said, I want to thank all of you out there that have made my retirement possible.  All that hard work and extra hours has resulted in compensation for the remainder of my life.  My Military Retirement makes it possible for us to live pretty darned nice.  Throw in a little Oil money left to us by Wilbur and Mom and little girls get a swing set now and then.  

Over the winter, I had my recumbent bike rebuilt and repainted and I just haven't had the opportunity to get it our on the bike trail.  I took it out once and it was only 50 with about a 25 MPH wind and all I did was ride across the Lake Shawnee dam.  Boo Hiss...

This morning as I went out to get the paper, I felt something hit my hair on the way out.  With the trees blooming, I though tit was just one of the leaf buds.  As I sat there reading the paper, I felt something on my neck and it was a tick.  Yes, with springtime comes the dreaded tick season.  I guess even if you stay on the driveway, they can jump out of trees and get you.  Barbara has a spraying station on the deck where she sprays down each time she goes out in the yard.  At 6 AM I just didn't think about it.  I don't know about you, but insect repellant kind of makes my skin burn and who loves the smell of chemicals strong enough to ward off Ticks.  Did I mention chiggers?  Here in the heartland we have a pesky little bug that loves to get underneath your socks or at your belt line and plum near drive you crazy with the itch.  

One time in Wyoming I was at one of the old forts and the local groups was performing Cavalry drills on the parade field.  Watching nearby was a family with a 13 year old girl.  You know the type, all legs and an attitude. She was wearing shorts and sitting in the grass. I told her that it was a really good way to get chiggers.  She said, "You cheeky yanks all pick on us kids."  (Yes I think she was British)  Oh well, sit there and get chiggers.  A Little later on, I went into the restroom in a nearby building.  The wall from the men's bathroom and women's was open at the top. I heard a familiar voice saying, "Mum, me bum itches."  All I could do was yell over the wall "Chiggers."

Oh well, things could be worse.  For now I am going to try to live my life as if it were a celebration and it is my party.  Well, I will try to include my book keeper and co-financier Barb.  

MUD

  

No comments:

Post a Comment