8/08/2009

Work at Rabbit Run

About 20 years ago, our Niece, Carrie Craig, worked with Barb to design our house here in Tecumseh, KS. Her diligence and hard work developed a plan that has proved over time to be a house that we will probably live in as long as we live. He understanding of "flow" in the house led us to make decisions that save steps and make this house s joy to live in. What a great feeling to have a house that was designed for us with our desires incorporated. We had lived in several houses that purchased already built and while close, they never hit the mark.

After 20 years of living in this house, there have been a few repairs needed as there is in any house. Most were things that wore out not from design, but from time and use. In our living room there is a grand window way up high that gives you a view of being outside while sitting on the couch. To say it is barb's favorite place to be is an understatement. Unfortunately, the glass over time lost its seal and moisture condensed between the layers of glass and began to frost the view. Yesterday, a crew from the local glass company came out and replaced that monster window. It took a crew of three all they could do to get the old one out and the new one up and in. The "normal" third person on the crew called in sick and they had a guy that normally installed windshields. He was better than no help but other than when they lifted the window not much better than no help. In fact he caused one pane of the glass to crack when they were taking it down and caused them to have a delay of about 30 minutes while they disassembled the glass rather than have the potential for an emergency. He griped about the set up before they lifted the new glass in place and his suggestion took about 20 extra minutes.

If they would have let me help, I could have saved them almost an hour but neither their insurance, their boss or my back were up for that. I think we all have delusions of being younger, fitter and smarter. I know I do and often find myself on my back for a week when I lift something too heavy.

Barb wanted to keep that one pane of glass so I could incorporate it into the south wall of a building I haven't built - Yet. I'm not sure what it will be but I'll bet it will be out in the sun and be used for her garden stuff. Send a woman to Master Gardner training and they will act like they know something about gardens. I think I'm going to go wake her up and go see the composting demonstration this morning. We have a new composting drum and I am curious about how long we need to keep it before it makes the best compost.

Oh well, much to do and so little time:)

MUD

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to thank you for your service. And if it makes you feel any better I am only 25 and can barely lift a thing as well. Maybe your not as much of an oldtimer as you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MUD, my idea is that a house is a machine for living. Saving distance is indeed an important part of using that machine efficiently. Consider yourself lucky to have someone that knew you and your habits. There are simply too many houses that suck these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an Architect, you probably work with a lot of people and know how important it is to figure out just what the heck they want. Carrie just worked and re-worked the plan until Barb and Carrie had it all worked out. Knowing that 2 bedrooms were on the lower level and that I am over 6 feet tall, Carrie specified 10 foot forms in the basement walls. The only part I don't like is the damned Eagle windows. We had a crooked dealer here in Topeka that folded and we were left with a crappy product and no customer service.
    Thanks for stopping in.
    MUD

    ReplyDelete
  4. And not only those things, but you and Barb are such different heights, different lavatory heights and all that stuff. It is most important to know who you are working for.

    ReplyDelete