10/22/2009

Why Change?

Pretty Petty Poison Ivy

Squash/Mushrooms by Martha Jr (aka Barb)




In the last couple of weeks, we have seen a lot of the family and in a lot of cases, the people remain a lot like they did the last time I saw them. There are three people on the fast lane of change and I often wonder what causes people to change. First let me discuss their changes. The names have been left out to protect the guilty. (If you are in the family, you know who they are and if you are not, why care?)
First, is my bike riding buddy who is a Fireman. He like me has a big frame and has almost always carried a lot of weight. Just recently he stopped working three jobs and is spending more time doing things that got him into shape and will keep him that way. I have always enjoyed talking with him and found that riding down the bike trail and talking to be even more fun. He is also paddling a kayak with his wife and doing some treadmill work. I think that just knowing you are capable of doing more is not enough. I hope that he feels energized after a workout like I do.
Second, is the wife of my bike riding buddy who has taken up the sport of roller derby. I couldn't even imagine why, other than it is a way to get into shape and stay that way. In fact, I put roller skating on my reverse bucket list as something I will never do again. There comes a time when falling down and hurting yourself doesn't need an additional 4 or 5 inches added to the distance you fall. I just hope that she continues to enjoy without breaking anything.
The third person is another firefighter that has started to question her life and has found that competitive urge to row. She has coached the kids for years but is now getting back into the rowing game. I went to a regatta one time and her life was as busy as a beach master on Omaha beach during the invasion in WWII. She was in constant movement getting the next boat into the water and the last one out. Hopefully this will teach the kids be more responsible and further help them grow. I hope I can find a way to ride with her down the KATY trail next year.
I read one time that life is a doorway, that causes change as we open new doors. I am not sure if it is the amusement we crave or the amazement we find at the way it makes us feel. The most noticeable changes are those that involve getting more exercise. I find that the endorphins kick in about mile 6 on the bike and I can go at least 4 or 5 hours without that second Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) after a good ride. My legs do feel a little rubbery for a few minutes but as long as I can still load up the bikes after a good ride who cares?
I found out that my new computer has a built in camera and will take my picture. The bad news is that I am not sure that I like what I see. I am way too old to have excess skin cut off my face so I guess i will just have to live with what I have.
My wife, Barbara, has just entered the phase of Face book. I think she wants to load up her pictures and I hope she enjoys sharing them with you. I am encouraging her to send invites to the family as she thinks about who should see the pictures.
MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment