12/31/2010

Boo Hiss!

If you watched the Pinstripe Bowl, you saw what was probably the worst case of bad officiating ever. As the game ended, K-State made a touchdown and a K-State player saluted the crowd. Yes, a proper salute not the one finger New York, "We're number One!" The officials threw a flag for excessive demonstration and made them try for the extra points (which would have tied the game) from the 18 yard line not the three. I have seen more jumping up and down in the end zone than I would ever care to see and in a bowl game where no one was hurt, they throw a flag. Jesus! Stupid....

The temperature fell 40 degrees yesterday evening. I am sure glad I had a chance to get out when it was 70. The old game of fetch the stick with the dog just doesn't seem to ever get tiring. Oh well, it will be January tomorrow so I'd better expect to have some cold. This morning everything has about an inch of ice on it. It took about 10 minutes to clear the window on the truck so I could take out the trash.

I had a couple of people comment on the enchiladas. About any meat will do, My son loves left over Turkey and I prefer beef. I have also made them with smoked chicken and they are wonderful. I mixed a couple of pounds of hamburger and a half pound of sausage cooked with onions and garlic. I start with fresh corn tortillas and fry them in oil for a few seconds on each side. Throw them in a pie pan of sauce and then put them in another pan to fill them. Fill them with a mixture of a tablespoon of the meat, a teaspoon of the Mixed Vegetables and a pinch of cheese. I use toothpicks to hold them together and then put them in a pan and pour a little more sauce on them a little more cheese and about 20 minutes in the oven. The mixed vegetables are a filler that we had in a Mexican restaurant and I love it. You can skip that if you wish but try it once and see if you too don't find that it adds to the taste. They are great right out of the oven and better re-heated the next day. Be very careful of the hot oil and the tortillas. Never put them in the oil with anything but a good set of tongs and make sure you don't have and sauce on your fingers when you handle them. Splatter city if the tortilias have been frozen and have some ice on them. In fact, I find it best if you have one person doing that step and someone else getting messy putting the filling in them. It is messy but the results are worth it to me.

I have some chili to make and big old steaming bowl full with some corn bread sounds wonderful.

MUD

2 comments:

  1. MUD,
    It's 60 degrees here in middle TN.,and we are supposed to get a couple of inches of rain, last week it was snow! Always windy here on the ridge, so that's a given that the rain goes sideways!
    Thanks for more info on the enchiladas, might try them again.
    I might ask the wife to make chili, with a pone of cornbread with butter just dripping off of it! Sure sounds good. BTW, hope the new year will be a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo, Hiss! Indeed, MUD. I saw it on the replays, because I was working during the game.

    I wouldn't call it the worst case of officiating I've seen, but it was bad enough that the bozo ought to be reprimanded, and then fired.

    ReplyDelete