8/27/2012

Monday Musings

Most of the time I have more to write than I can remember when I start writing and other times I need a muse to help me get started.  I guess that is a result of the amount of coffee and sleep.   Either way, here is my daily dose for Monday.

On TV this week there was a story about college Freshmen and it said that most were born in 1994.  That's the year my son graduated from High School and a short three years before I retired.  It doesn't seem possible that these kids haven't a clue of many things I found normal and an everyday part of life. Not only do they not have any experience with records, they didn't have 8 - track tapes and in many cases the cassette tapes.  I wonder how many had the old VHS movies.  I plugged in one of the old tapes the other day and found that my player has not been used in so long it just didn't work.  Old age will do that I guess.

Over the weekend there was a story in the paper about an Ottawa, KS football player that broke his back lifting weights.  As a result he is no a paraplegic and working hard to find something so he can express his years of athletics he worked so hard to get ready for.  In the paper there was a picture of him in a tricycle bike that was way cool.  I sure hope he can afford one of those new modern carbon fiber ones and ride down the trail with a smile on his face.  I know that riding my recumbent bike has done wonders for my whole outlook in life.  It is nothing to go ride 9 or 10 miles and by the time I get home my pulse rate is back to normal in no time.   In fact I worked on my exercise bike earlier in the day and when I got home I wanted to see what a mile felt like on the stationary bike.  It has a feature that allows it to jump between the distance, calories used, total time elapsed and heart rate.  As I sat there after finishing the mile, the display stayed on for a while.  The only function that had anything in the counter was the heart rate.  In a few short minutes, my pulse rate just dropped back to a very normal range in the mid 60's.  I took my blood pressure cuff and took the pressure reading.  It was 120 over 77.  Sure hope that I can maintain this shape for a while.  I think my goal is to ride 10 miles a day either on the trail or the stationary bike.  

We are watching the hurricane in the gulf.  We are scheduled to go to Gulf Shores, Alabama in a couple of weeks and sure hope things there don't get washed away.  I'll bet that Amy can find us another place without much delay but I did have my heart set on that beachfront house there across the bay from Mobile.  Oh well, a couple of weeks between now and then so hopefully they will have it all sorted out.  I will throw in a pair of gloves and an old broom to help sweep up stuff. 

I think either today or tomorrow Barb will have me out picking fruit off the trees.  They are loaded and after eating an Asian Pear on the way back in from fetching the paper I can tell that everything is pretty ripe.  Barb likes to make a pear butter by cooking the pears in a crock pot and then putting the results in jars.  We'll see what she is up to a little later on.    

Gotta run.  See you tomorrow.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment