9/21/2012

Free Vs Stupid Speech

Barb and I discussed the subject of Free Speech yesterday.  While we agree that you can't shout fire in a crowded theater or Bomb in an airport, we feel that there is a lot of area that is confusing.   I think Barb and I agree on the current definition for the most part.  What I personally don't understand is that what is guaranteed by our Government is not the rule in most of the rest of the world. Don't give other people from other countries the same rights we have guaranteed.

On our trip to Morocco, our host asked us to not speak out against the King.  In fact, I admire the difficulty of being the king in a time when the fundamentalists are flexing their muscles.  It is very difficult to tell people to mind their manners where protesting in the street is common.  The country of Morocco is in a lot of ways unchanged in the last 50 years.  I can't imagine living there after having the freedoms and up to date opportunities we have here.  I can see that their king is working hard to do what is best for his people.

I hate the Westboro Baptist Church's message that "God hates....."  Pick your subject and they have a sign that says God hates it.   By the same token, they have rights that are protected on many levels.  Free Speech, Right to Assemble and Freedom of Religion are all protected and I for one would hate to have any of my rights impeded to shut this stupid speech up.  It is a slippery slope that I don't want tilted towards having our Government close down stupid things.

I think our Government doesn't do enough standing up for the things we fully support.  We have a long time reputation of standing up for the right of people to choose their own religion.  It is difficult to understand our hard  line in the sand to protect both the right to say what we believe and what we defend.  Just because it seems stupid to you doesn't mean that we must stop it.  I think our Government needs to have a stronger backbone and be more Popeye.  "I yam what I Yam" 

MUD






3 comments:

  1. Freedom of religion is a double edge sword. There is a question in my mind about one so called religion that I don't think qualifies as a religion. That is Islam. It looks like more like a cult to me than a religion. This is a problem with Freedom of Religion. Is it really a religion? Not in my defination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Above comment was from Ray, not Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, I have read your comment three times and I am not sure what you are saying. To a former Southern Baptist that listened to Hell Fire and Damnation as I grew up, I heard about a vengeful god and the time I went to a Methodist Church I listened to their preaching about a loving god and then Fred and his bunch talk about God hating everything. The same bible is quoted to mean a hundred different things.

    ReplyDelete