1/21/2014

The Other Side of the Coin

I read a lot about people feeling that the US Government is not supporting our Veterans the way it should.  I am offering a few words here to let you see the other side of the same argument.

In 1966, I was drafted into the Army with several thousand other guys a lot like me.  I could have run to Canada or tried to play games with the Draft Board or the Doctors at the Processing Station in Kansas City.  I think a whole bunch of us did not and we went to the service with the clear understanding that it was just the first step in going to War. I don't even begin to try to tell you that we knew what that meant, but we went willing. 

How can anyone tell me that a few less or more dollars in a retirement pay means more than a willingness to go to war and if somehow selected, to die?   How can people equate fairness over a few less dollars in our pay to guys and now gals, in that discussion.  The last thing most of us want is to have people think we are a bunch of cry babies that feel cheated.  I served for about 31 years and was paid well and often.  I was decorated for my service and promoted to Colonel.  Who would have ever thought that little Denny Petty could ever reach that grade?  Every Monday night I sing with two other retired Colonels and none of us are missing many meals because of a few dollars.

It is clear that our Government is facing a turning point that won't be easy for anyone.  We either need to raise taxes or pay out less.  I served proudly and compared to the threat of death, a few less dollars is just a small step for me to take.   I am proud to say that I live in a country that has not served under a monarchy, a Pope or a Military Dictatorship.  I love it here and if I didn't, I would hike my butt somewhere else.  I salute my flag, take what I get and move on.  I think that most of us veterans feel the same way deep down.  

To me, there is something to be said about our freedom.  If you don't want a religion, a gun, an abortion or a gay marriage don't get one.  

MUD, COL (Ret)

No comments:

Post a Comment