6/08/2014

Chirp!

This morning when we work up, there was a strange chirp coming from an unknown source.  Having a slight hearing loss from my years of guns, Artillery, Chain Saws and Mowers, it was difficult to locate where the sound was coming from.  I started by standing by all the CO2 and smoke detectors in the house.  It sounded a lot like the low battery warning chirp and most of the detectors are plugged directly in to an electrical outlet.  The chirp was very fast and about two minutes between chirps.  I probably spent 20 minutes walking around trying to locate the culprit.  Zip, nada, zilch was the result.  I finally narrowed the search down to the kitchen where there is almost nothing that has a battery.  Heck, the cell phone was plugged in and charging and wasn't fully charged.  As I was looking by the cabinet where the trash can lives, I heard it chirp right in front of me.  There is a small container that is a catch all and in that pile was an old CO2 detector that had a low battery.  When we replaced the  battery operated detectors with plug in models, I simply removed the old one and put it in the pile by the keys holder.  Stupid to not remove the battery and even more stupid when I could not locate the Beeping Bastard.

Yesterday the Barbershop Chorus in Kansas City invited the surrounding chapters to go to a KC T-Bones Baseball game and sing the National Anthem.  The also put on a darned good feed for everyone and it was pretty fun to meet the other Chapter members.  If they do it again next year I will not go as early and take a lawn chair.  The group sounded great and the stadium really cheered when we sang.  Then we sat back and got to see a lot of entertainment.  I swear that every inning had some kind of event as the players warmed up to play.  There were races, ball tosses, Air Guitars and laughter by most of the audience.  It was a great evening and the stadium was beautiful.  The T-bones won against the Laredo Lemurs. 

As usual, there was a young couple with kids right behind me.  The little boy was between 2 and three and his sister was probably 5.   We talked and sang and played and I'm sure the rest of the guys wondered what I was up to.  As a grandfather want-a-be, I enjoy little kids.  After several innings of this, the mother said she was sorry they were such an intrusion.  I told her that I love little kids and enjoyed the time spent laughing and sharing peanuts.  I think the little boy and I ate 10 or 11 peanuts with me opening half and him opening half.  we would share and each eat one nut.  That went fairly well until one peanut shell had only one peanut.  I broke it in half and he was satisfied with that solution.  I asked him his name an he was Bronson.  Cute name for a cute kid.  He asked me my name and I told him I was Dennis but he could call me MUD.  I told him that it was short for Mean Uncle Denny and then did my best giggle impression.  From then on, he called me MUD and we laughed.

Somewhere about the 7th inning it was clear that the kids needed to go home and to bed.  When the parents each took one child, they both were shouting, "I don't wanna go."  "MUD, save me."  Nope, you are on your own kid.

I wouldn't want to have season tickets to a baseball season but it was kind of fun to crowd watch.  If you were bored by the slowness of the game, it was fun to watch the young people getting drunk and fetching more beer.  I saw that beers were $7.50 for a 12 ounce beer.  It must have taken close to $50.00 to get a real buzz on.  There was one young lady that was hitting it pretty hard at first and then every inning she had to go pee when she finally ran out of beer money.  All in all, I didn't see any cross words exchanged and the fact that no one smoked in the stands was a bonus.  If you wanted to smoke you had to go down on the end of the stadium. 

It might be fun to see what Barb has cooked up for today.  There is an Art Fair at Washburn University and a German Food fest in Oakland.  Better get my walking shoes on and get ready to meet the day.  Have a great one out there.

Mean Uncle Denny, aka MUD -Giggle, giggle, giggle  -Beep

No comments:

Post a Comment