6/20/2014

Friday?

For some weird reason, I had yesterday as Friday almost all day.  I guess when you are boring, wishing a day to be over isn't unusual.  I have a fairly full schedule for the next few days so I might be a little lax on how much I post.  In fact, If I had my act together right now, I would be on my way to the dump so I can unload my trailer full of trash.  I have a need to fill it again when we start working on the Park's house.  Not sure what we will run into but I'm sure there will be at least some old siding to replace and supplies from the painting. 

Today, I read the Obituary of a good friend's father.  Her maiden name was Saia.  It had never occurred to me that she might be of Spanish heritage.   It really doesn't make any difference because as you probably have read here on my blog that I love that Topeka was the home of many Mexican families because of the Railroad.   If there is an event I love better than the Fiesta here in Topeka, I don't know what it is.  The fact that they raise lots of money for their schools is bonus to me.  If there is a better thing to spend money on, I don't know what it is.

When I went out to fetch the paper, I have to walk the last 100 feet out in the sunlight.  It may not be as warm today as it was yesterday but the humidity and lack of wind will make it feel hotter.  I swear that the humidity here in the heartland feels like New Orleans.  Almost every afternoon, the clouds have built up and somewhere near here it has rained.  At least the circular winds have been far to the north so far.  I hear that Iowa and east they are almost underwater.  I do know that the rivers and streams in Kansas are all running pretty full.  In fact, I saw that there are those white mushrooms growing out in the yard.  Way too wet for me.

I hope to sneak in a movie sometime this week.   I see that the new Frankie Valley Movie "Jersey Boys" starts today.   I really don't care about the story in the movie, but that is the music of my youth and I love that falsetto lead.  At one time (prior to my bronchitis) I had such a voice and sang along with many of the records of my day.  Once I had that bad run of health in 98 or 99, I was not able to sing way up there any more.  I can probably sing higher than most of the basses in the chorus but I really did struggle with the baritone parts when we had to sing higher than the leads.  Oh well, probably more than you wanted to know.

Have you seen the price of bacon lately?  What was generally a loss leader in the stores is now at least $6.00 a pound.  Some of the packages have been trimmed down and are 14 OZ.  I guess when my favorite steak is over $10 a pound, bacon must be higher.  And, the cost of living is not on the rise either?  It cost me $50 to fill the Ford gas tank the other day and I had a 20 cent per gallon discount on my Dillon's card.  Sheesh, and almost all of my gas cans and vehicles need  filled. 

Oh well, gotta get running and do a few good things.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment