10/05/2006

Fall In Kansas

This Pile of Nuts is only a small sample of the debris our Oak trees dropped this year. The Burr Oak acorns are over an inch long and the small Red Oak acorns are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. The Burr Oaks have a tough cover and they aren't too bad. It is the little smooth rascals that get washed into piles by the rain and are like walking on marbles. This is one of the reasons we have squirrels. We really could call this place Squirrel Chew not Rabbit run.










The acorn shells are also a hazard because they get chewed open and left all over everything. At least they are fairly biodegradeable and don't last forever. We have hickory tree that drop a nut that is almost forever. I cannot mow my yard in shorts because of the hickory nut hulls being sent flying by the mower. It is almost like hand grenade shrapnel and will wound your legs. The Black Walnut nuts are almost as bad. They also have an outer husk that stains anything they land on. Especially if the husk is chewed into pieces and left on the deck or sidewalk.
Today is a unmentionable event for a person who's name shall go unnamed. She went to school on this most important day. I will take her out to dinner tonight to celebrate. There is a package that was delivered yesterday but I have been sworn not to mention its contents until she gets a chance to thank the responsible parties. I will include pictures, perhaps tomorrow.
I had a nice visit with my Mom and sisters yesterday. I stopped by to pick up Mom's Nitro prescription and take it to the pharmacy. It was dated 12/01 and I wanted to know what year. It expired on Dec of 01. It had not been filled since Jun of 2000. Mother said it didn't do much the last time she used it. DUH! The pharmacist would not even let me take the old bottle back for fear Mom might use it. The bottle is so small that you cannot put a label on it so I guess it was not clear when to replace it. I guess every 6 months is probably a good idea.
It is my understanding that Kris DeMauro who's picture is in the last post blew out his knee yesterday. He is scheduled for an MRI to determine what they need to do. If you go to an orthopedic surgeon, guess what he'll recommend? Surgery! He makes his money on that part of his business. Medicine is and art they practice. Surgery is a business they make lots of money doing. Having that little bump removed under my eye was billed at over $1,000 for about an hour's work. Thank God BC & BS paid all but $90 of that. That was in the Outpatient Surgery Center and thank god it wasn't in the hospital. It would have cost five grand there. Either way, I hope that they can fix it and he recovers fully.
Did I mention the weather? On Monday it was 95 yesterday it 65 and it didn't cool off below 59 last night. I didn't get in a ride yesterday and I will this morning. Perhaps not the 20 miles like I did on Monday but 14 or 15 doesn't sound bad. It will be long pants day and perhaps a jacket.
I have two Blogs that I check daily. Reimer Ramblings and The Rants of an Ornery Brat The first is Julie & Gerald's updates from Morocco and the last is Becky DeMauro's. They are two of the nicest people and I enjoy being updated on their lives.
My sister, Carol, mentioned that she reads my blog and didn't understand how the size multiplied so fast. She kind of wondered how I managed to have this much to say. I think of this as practice for when I write my book. I want to be old enough to not be embarrassed by some of the stupid things I did. At almost 60, I am still just young enough that there could be some repeat performances of stupid, so maybe I had better wait a while or start writing fiction. I know, Faction - a lot of lies built around a framework of facts. Perhaps I can turn some of those war stories into cash. You do know the difference between Fairy Tales and War Stories. The Fairy Tales start out Once upon a time...
Oh well, I'll go make up something else on my time and let you get along with your life. Keep Riding. MUD