10/06/2006

Gifts from Special People


People who must remain un-named made a special gift for an unknown event for a special person. The names and occasions have been left out to protect the innocent. Unless the computer starts acting better, the picture may be left out also. When we were out west in June, there was a discussion that occurred about art and what it was and how to make it. All a simple kid from Kansas could do was listen as I have a good ability to make function but almost no talent in the way of art. I have a good heart but a lousy eye.
After several minutes of discussion one person said that a bouquet of flowers made out of faucet knobs could be beautiful. All I could do was walk around for a day or so and see if there were any knobs there. I found a few and gave them to the artist/welder and walked away. I did not expect to ever see them again or in such a beautiful state. The faucets are soldered to copper tubes and that was fastened to a red brass fitting and that was fastened to a steel plate. The steel plate was turned blue by heating it to just the right temperature. All in all it is so stunning.
Another person, also unnamed made a Black Widow spider out of glass. The new owner had me get some fishing line and tie the spider to the bouquet. The entire piece is stunning. I know the picture doesn't do it justice. This same artist put a glass bee and made centers for the flowers out of small glass beads. KSSK is the new name of the enterprise whose combined talents are responsible. Needless to say this art work went to school today and will probably remain there until after Halloween. I'm pretty sure it will be displayed on the shelf in the dining room.
My mother-in-law sent a couple of really nice gifts also. We got a gravy boat for the china dishes she gave us. There was also a little girl with an umbrella that is "Hummel" like that will join our collection. A sister-in-law from California had been sending books and someone put distribution labels on them and added some of the books to the package. All in all a special person had a big Ol'e smile all evening. There were several phone calls that also brightened the evening.
Ok, enough about unnamed people on unnamed days. It wears me out but that whole group asked for anonymity so I'll do my best to comply. After all, this is supposed to be about me and my life, someday I'll try to get one. If you hear someone say mean things about me, tell others what they said. As dull and boring as I am I need all the help I can get. I do ask you to leave my wife and mother out of it. They are a couple of pretty darned special people and I will defend them with a vengeance.
I am following a blog where a personal trainer is trying a new sleep procedure. He is taking 30 minute naps every 4 hours and not sleeping for any extended periods. This sounds like a natural for retired people. You do have to be careful the first week until your body learns to go into REM sleep quickly. It takes a well rested person about 30 minutes to get to REM sleep, so for a week or so you will not be as well rested. Slowly your body will slide into REM sleep quicker. I will let you know if this system works. I might give it a try. Another benefit is that you use more energy as you are awake more. Might be a way to stretch out the day and loose weight. Stand BY for News on that. I do know that for extended periods I have been able to get by on five or six hours of sleep. I have always been able to take cat naps quickly when I need them.
It will be just my luck that I will find myself sleeping 8 hours at night and taking 30 minute naps every 4 hours too. Wait a minute, I just described my life. Retirement is hard work but someone has to do it.
You should see what 42 inches of HD Plasma TV looks like in Mom's living room. It is sparkling and you can see the pores on the news caster's noses.
Keep your days light and your nights dark.
MUD