- How many times in the last week did you see a man armed with an automatic weapon protecting your one and only food or water supply? (Try Somalia for a day or two)
- When was the last time you saw a man with a shotgun guarding the cars in the parking lot of your local restaurant? (Panama a few years back)
- Houses built out of the cardboard from cases of C-Rations. (Vietnam)
- Voting places that not only had you show your identity card they took a thumb print with indelible ink. (Iraq)
- Government change at the point of a bayonet. (so many places that I can't list them all)
This morning when I went out to fetch the paper you could still feel the heat radiating up from the sidewalk. While it will be about 20 degrees cooler than yesterday, I imagine it will feel almost as hot until we get some rain tonight. Think steam bath rather than sauna.