2/05/2015

A Bad Day

In the previous post, I neglected to say that as a recovered drunk, I wake up pretty much every day feeling about as good as I will for the rest of the day.  To describe the bad day, I had to start with a terrible hangover.  I am not sure what I had to drink the but I do remember we ran out of tonic and started to make gin and Alka-Seltzer somewhere the night before.    I don't have a clue if it helped or hurt but I was really sick that morning.

To make it all worse, I had to go to school.  I went out to the car and there in the driveway was my car with a flat tire.  Yep, you got it, the spare was still flat from the last time I had a flat.  I had a gas station about two blocks from my home so I carried the best one down there to have it fixed.  Did I ever tell you the story about the farmer that carried a small pig to market?  When he got there, the scales said 15 lbs.   He said let it sit there for a while it will get heavier.  With a hangover that damn little tire weighed a ton and it didn't roll at all.  I carried it all the way there and fortunately had enough money to have the tube patched and I was on my way back home.

The Mini Minor had a battery in the trunk and it had been going dead a lot.  I am not sure if there was not enough juice coming from the generator or a short in the system.  The good news was that it was such a small car that I could just push it out of the driveway get a rolling start and it would start fine. That was true "Most Days."   This morning it did not start and I rolled it all the way down to the corner and Nada, Nothing, zilch...  

In our neighborhood, there was a Highway Patrol Trooper that I had met.  He drove by and helped me put a pair of jumper cables on the Mini and it started right off.  He had given me a stern warning that because of all the electronic equipment in his car I needed to be real careful not to let the cables touch or it would fry his alternator.  After I got in my car, I saw him carry one end of the cables back over to his car and just as he got by the engine compartment I saw the ends of the cable touch and sparks flew.  Yep, he fried that alternator.   I quickly left the scene.

Just as I passed the gas station I had just visited, I saw that there was not nearly enough gas to get back home let alone to school.   I knew that I only had about 75 cents in my pocket so I got 75 cents worth of gas.  Back then, it was at least a couple of gallons and I was getting at least 40 MPG.   I did not worry that there would not be enough gas for a short trip to school.  

I looked at my watch and realized that I had spent so much time getting ready that I had missed two of the three classes that day.  I had the most horrible headache and the thought of food made me want to hurl.   That was right the point that I went home and went back to bed. 

The only think that what made this day worse was that when I woke up later on, I didn't feel one bit better and twice in one day I had a hangover.  I wish I could tell you that a couple of aspirin and a little food made it better.  It didn't.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment