4/28/2012

Truck Troubles

In case you didn't know, I am an old car kind of guy.  OK, I am an old guy and I like cars I can fix.  Day before yesterday, I went out to start the truck and it cranked hard but didn't hit a lick.  I started with the assumption that I flooded it first and cleaned the plugs one at a time.  I checked the gas line and then the voltage to the ignition.  So far so good.  I am going to invite Barb out and have her crank the engine while I look at the spark for one of the plugs.  I suspect a part in the ignition.  It doesn't have a coil, just one of those fancy distributors with some electrical works inside. 


Oh well, better get cranking


MUD

Later on tonight 
 
My 53 Chevy Pick-Up Truck has a late model Chevy 350 motor in it.   Along with the later model displacement, it has a High Efficiency Ignition (HEI) That is completely different from the systems I worked with as a kid.   This opened a whole new world of troubleshooting for me from where I grew up.  The big difference is the structure has a coil built in to the distributor cap instead or a separate beer can shaped coil.  There are no points to adjust, just an engine control module that does god only knows what.  I had a dead truck and no way to troubleshoot with the help of a computer so it was replace as you go.  With no spark, I started with the coil and the distributor cap.  No, that didn't fix the problem.  Next, there was the rotor and the engine control module.  Between each step, i would put the whole mess together and try to start it.  I can now take the entire system apart and put it back together in about 15 minutes.  Under neath the rotor, there is a set of rotating weights that advance the spark as the rpm increases.  These tiny parts have a spring that return the parts as the RPM decreases.  Those little springs are impossible to find if you drop one and wouldn't you know I dropped one.  Thank God for Ace hardware's assortment of springs.  The one that was the right tension was a little long.  I managed to cut it too the same size as the one that didn't jump off into the grass.  It looked like a home made spring and i duplicated the shape and length.  

The good news is that when I finished the last time, it started and seems to run like a champ.  I am not sure what tart of the almost $100 dollars worth of parts finally fixed the darn thing, but I'm not sure I really care so long as it runs and runs well. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Dropped metal things (springs, bolts, nuts and screws) can be found quick and easy with a good magnet. Just swing it over the area just above the grass and the item will jump on for a ride. I have my magnet tied to a string and can swing over a big area in no time. It works for me. One of my magnets will lift about 20 lbs. Nothing can get away from that one. Ray

    ReplyDelete