9/12/2014

I Am Responsible!

I was not the biggest fan of Harry Truman but he did have a sign on his desk that I loved.  "The Buck Stops Here!"  Harry grew up in a time where people just accepted that their position in life makes them responsible for the events that happen in their space.  For 30+ years in the Military, I think I lived that Motto fully and now it is clear that here at Rabbit Run, I have little choice but to pin the tail on my donkey.

One failure that a lot of people make is they think they can lie and et out of something.  Do you think Nixon was canned (or about to be canned when he resigned) because someone in his administration broke into the Watergate Complex?  Nope, it was the lie that he told to cover it up.  People make mistakes and when they do their best and things turn out bad, accepting the responsibility generally enough.  Go to your boss and accept the error of your ways and a large percentage of the time unless it is illegal, immoral or unethical mistakes are forgiven.

When  Friday rolls around, who do you think gets up and rolls the trash and the recycle container out to the court here at Rabbit Run?  Yep'er Skippy, that's my job and if it doesn't get done, the blame is mine all mine.  For the most part, mechanical things and some of the cooking are on my list.  Barbara does the things that are pretty and thoughtful and I keep the engine running. 

I won't take credit for everything, it is just that I feel compelled to point out that in life, we have somehow changed from the model that we have individual responsibilities to a place where we want the Government to do much for us.   If the voters in Ferguson, Missouri feel they aren't represented in their Government,  more than 25% of the eligible voters need to get up off their duff and vote.  Even with the minorities in the USA a small percentage of the population, they can change the outcome of our elections if they get out and vote.  I do.

In the case of wanting the Government to be responsible, there is enough things for everyone to have a bite of the apple.  In fact, we do not have enough money to have Government to accept many more roles right now.  Our Teachers have a very defined role right now and it is teaching the kids to meet the standards in the testing they are being given.   Don't expect them to undertake the role of making sure the kids do their homework if you who have them at least as long as the Teachers do. Morals, respect and love of life are taught to children and most of that is done before they enter School.  I for one wonder where the schools got the job of feeding the kids a breakfast?  If you want your kids to be courteous, clean and know what school is really for, someone like parents need to be there with that responsibility.    Most of the schools have a Psychologist but they alone can't change the basic attitude that everyone must step up to the plate and take a bite out of the Apple we will call raising our children. 

Yesterday I went to a local store to buy a few items on the way home.  The store has almost a whole new bunch of clerks and the young woman that checked me out had a rough time trying to figure out what a zucchini was. I showed her the bump on the end of the zucchini and told her that cucumbers are more uniform in color.  I guess it does look like a cucumber somewhat.  When it was time to give me my change, (I am an old dinosaur that uses real money) she gave me 9 one's and had to count on her fingers how to do that.  The ticket was in the grocery sack and after minute the screen on the register went blank and she had to dig out the receipt.  I told the wife that I did not predict a long and stellar career in the Grocery Business for that young woman unless she is a fast learner.    The sharpies that ply the trade will beat her out of money every time. 

So back to my first and main point.  Everyone in the world can help make this a better place to live if we all step up and can be counted on.  Raise your children, take care of your life and Vote. 
End of message. 

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment