2/26/2015

Warm Yesterday, Cold Today

When I worked on the 57 Chevy yesterday, it was in the mod 50's.  About three when I finished, the wind had shifted and was getting cooler.  By about 5:45 it was snowing.  The bad news was it got too cold to snow and the snow stopped about 7.  This morning it was 12 degrees with a wind chill of -4.  BRRRRRR!    

I belong to a 55-56-57 Chevy site on Facebook and it really has my juices flowing to the 57 out of the metal storage building and drive it.   I am going to work on the motor until I find that I cannot fix the stumble on acceleration and then I am going to put a new crate motor in it.   I also want to put power steering and disk brakes on the front.  Most important part will be the A/C.   I want to take a road trip out west in it.   Last trip there was to Reno, NV the first time I drove it.  Only had to tow it twice on that trip. 

Just watched a program about Shrimp and it is very interesting.  A worker on the assembly line deveins 800 of those tasty little shrimp an hour.  Must be a mind numbing job.  Makes me want to go get a bag of them.  

As soon as Barb gets ready, we are going to get out and about.  Not sure where all we will go but imagine the library and the grocery store are on the list.  Might even get to go to Cook's American Grill for lunch.  Nice place to eat.  Barb likes their salad and pies.  Me, I like the daily special.  It is always different and good.  

I think it is interesting what we call things.  This morning I mentioned the shed where I stored my tractor and car.  She said it was a garage.  It is actually a Metal Storage Building but what is a name.  I grew up calling the refrigerator "the Icebox."   My grandmother actually had an ice box and had ice delivered three times a week.  I think my father bought her a refrigerator that had one of those circular cooling coil on top.  She had that forever. 

Better get ready.  

MUD

2 comments:

  1. My Dad was the Ice Man in Baldwin city. He owned and operated the local Ice Plant from 1941 to about 1950. Ice was made on location in 300 lb blocks and it produced 50 to 100 blocks per day. During WW2 he ran Ice routes to all the people with Ice Boxes with 3 cheve pickup trucks. My oldest brother delivered part time. I worked on the dock selling blocks of ice to drive up customers. When Refrigerators hit the market at the end of the war, the Ice business started losing demand and eventually failed for lack of customers. Dad sold "Frigidairs" for a few years at the ice plant before the market became flooded with other brands. That was in another life time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that about your dad. We had an uncle in Oklahoma that ran an ice house. I can remember stopping by there on a trip once.

    ReplyDelete