9/05/2014

Friday? Really?

I don't know why, but Thursday ended in a blur.  I didn't sleep as well the night before and I found myself on the couch sleeping shortly after supper.  I think there is a chemical in those Chicken Enchiladas and that slice of watermelon that just conked me out.  The kind of interesting fact is that I see that Barb's sleep habits were off the rails also.  About 7 AM, I went out early and put the trash out by the street and the paper was missing.  I found it on the kitchen table where clearly Barb had put it after reading it.  Not sure what time that happened.

The other day, our Daughter-in-Law found a kitten just outside of her office building.  Yes, being the softie she brought it home.  My son, the real softie in the family has immediately adopted the kitten and now there is a new member of the family.  That makes them three steps on the road of becoming one of those weird cat ladies.  I for one like having an outside cat but am not interested in having a house cat.  In fact, I am resisting the urge of getting a pet altogether.  It is enough work just taking care of ourselves. 

In the past, I could copy pictures from Facebook and then open them here in my blog.  For some reason they are now being saved as .HTM and not .Jpeg and they cannot be opened by Adobe Photoshop Elements or copied here on my blog.  Oh well.  So far you have been denied the chance to see our adorable grand nephew Rocky sporting a black eye and the new cat Pixel.  

Picture from his Grandpa's page - Rocky

I think I mentioned my Camera Problem.  My Nikon Coolpix P520 started giving me problems a couple of months back.  I think the first glimpse was the day after the one year warranty expired.  It seems that the very tiny cord won't make good contact and recharge the batteries.  The good news is that for years I have almost always charged the batteries on all of my other Nikon's with an external charger.  I can also transfer pictures using an external SD Card reader.  The camera still didn't charge even after sending it to the authorized repair agent.  It took a trip to Wolf's Camera Shop and a little help from one of their sales agents.  For about $40 dollars, I fixed a problem that a $125 dollar trip and four weeks couldn't.   So, "Shoot Globally but shop locally."

This week, the subject of wills came up and again I want to share with you that if you really want to have a will, it is not hard to do.  If you really want one that will hold up in court, have it done by a Lawyer, have it witnessed and have your signature notarized.  Otherwise it is a letter and can be challenged.   Basically, your will can be individualized to cover about any situation.  In most cases, the first will for a couple will give all assets to the surviving spouse.  It is up to the surviving spouse to then decide what to do with your stuff when he/she dies.  That person may or may not decide to carry out your wishes.  In a lot of cases, the surviving spouse may have to sell items to survive and that is the way most of us would want it.  What ever you decide to do, it will make the settlement of an estate a lot easier if there are clear written instructions. 

Yesterday I had the oil changed on the Crown Vic.  I deliberately drove it about twice as far on this oil change interval than my normal distance.  Most of the extra miles were on the highway and the oil looked good (a little brown) but far from black and I checked the dipstick oil level a couple of times a week.  In about 7,000 miles, it never lost a quart.  The Crown Vic holds 6 quarts so I knew it was in good shape.  The lube shop did vacuum the floor mats but didn't clean the windshield.  I filled up the car on the way home and did the windows myself.  What I really need is to get organized and clean the inside of the windshield.  Perhaps today.

Yesterday it was in the 90's outside in the afternoon.  Today it will be in the 70's.  I guess this is one of the first pushes of Fall.  Lots of things to do before the first frost.  I have to finish the mowing job. Clean the gutters and finish service on all of the mowers, tractors and tools.  I still haven't cleared the hickory nut shells off the front walk either.  Sure can't go "barefootin'" around here.  A quick walk around with the leaf blower will take care of that.  Probably will have to do it at least once more next week but that's no big deal.  Moving on, Have a great weekend.

MUD



No comments:

Post a Comment