9/16/2014

Right Tool for the Right Job

Somehow with all the rain, Dave's yard got deep with grass.  He tried to get our Troy Built Mower out and mow it but  it was almost not enough to get 'er done.  In  all fairness, I have been avoiding replacing a front tire and it would go flat with just a couple of passes done.  Even with a new tire, it just had a tough time.   Did I mention that I have an Allis Ago Tractor with a finish mower on the back?  It has been not very good at mowing deep grass lately and I decided that it probably was because it needed the belts tightened.  Yep, I could almost move the belt by hand and I took out the trusty 9/16 wrench and snugged that sucker down.  Cuts just fine now.  What would have been a three or four hour job with the little mower was done in about an hour.  Other than the time I smoked the belts by catching a piece of junk in the blades, it went easy peasy.  Right tool for the right job.

This is the Box blade for moving gravel

Sometime in the next week or so, I am going to go over to the rentals and see what kind of handy work needs done.   I know the garage door opener on the little house needs work and there is a leak under the sink at the big house.  It has a bucket under the leak and only drips from time to time so it isn't a great big deal.  I suspect it is a slow leak where the hose fastens under the fixture. 

Did I tell you about my buckets of tools?   I have over time as a landlord collected many tools and I have tried to sort them by the function I am doing.  I have a bucket for plumbing (One Heavy Sucker) one for electrical work, one for carpentry and tools for fixing vehicles.  Well, my vehicle bucket is really a bag for wrenches, one for sockets and a Metric Tool Box in the Crown Vic.  The rest of my tools are in the storage shed out of the weather. 

Over the years, I have collected a selection of ladders for various uses.  I have one aluminum extension ladder for really high work, a 8 foot fiberglass "A" frame ladder for painting and lower work and one of those ladders you see on TV that can be put into about any shape.  It folds down into a 4 foot by three foot package so it will fit in the trunk of a car.  I find it just the ticket for painting in stairways and such.  With the addition of a board, it makes a pretty fine scaffold up to about 8 feet. 

I am not sure why I am writing this other than I am killing time right now and feel compelled to write something.  I am only one position from having the 2015 slate of officers for the Barbershop Chorus filled.  I have invited one of the chorus members to take the position and it should be one of the easiest jobs so I think he will accept.  We'll see. 

Better get this show on the road.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment