8/24/2013

NIMBY

Most of us are running around and saying the Federal Government must cut the budget to match revenue.  Now that a lot of those cuts are hitting home to the Military, the cries begin that the cuts should be "Not in My Backyard."   Over the past 20 years, the Army National Guard here in Kansas grew their maintenance and refurbish program to an annual payroll of 22 million dollars.  Next year the cuts are going to be in excess of 15 million dollars and put about 100 workers out of work.  

This week, Barbara got the new Kansas Magazine and it listed the best restaurants in Kansas and one of the places listed was the burger place in Lawrence.  They also have a joint in Topeka and after seeing a movie yesterday, we invited the kids to join us for a burger.    four burgers, two orders of fries and two drinks were $51.00.  I don't want to sound like it wasn't one of best burgers I have had in a long time.  Guess I have been out of circulation too long. 
The Butler's Star, Forest Whittaker

On to the review of the movie.   The Butler is a story about a black butler that served over 20 years in the White House.  From Eisenhower  Through Carter he served in silence and left his personal opinion at home.  It was an interesting look at history of the White House with a special look into the Civil Rights issues that evolved over his service.  I for the most part thought the actors selected to be the Presidents were pretty good.  I thought Robin Williams would have been a better Truman than Eisenhower.  I guess I was so blown away by Tom Selleck's portrayal of Eisenhower in the movie "Saving Pvt. Ryan."  I was sitting there mesmerized by the Presidents and their wives.  When they got to the Reagan era, Nancy Reagan came on screen and spoke to the Butler.  I kid you not it was Jane Fonda is full color.  I am sure that Ronny is still spinning in his grave over that selection.  A lot of the Vietnam Veterans have not forgiven her for her "Aid and Comfort to the Enemy."  I have almost forgotten her and her part was so small that it was hardly worth noticing.  In spite of some exaggeration in the script and only fair casting, I thought the movie was worth seeing as a reminder of who we were and where we came from.

In the area of Civil Rights, I share the myopia that a lot of the white middle class have about just how bad it really was from 1860 to 1960.  Having grown up in a lower class neighborhood, and escaped the perpetual poverty there, I thought everyone had the same chance to overcome and adapt that I did. I guess there was a large segment that put the entire black community in a second class.  There were no blacks in my neighborhood.  The joke was that no self respecting black would live in Dog Patch on the east side of Wichita.  The truth was that in spite of the steps forward, Wichita was still very segregated and the blacks lived in "Their" part of town.  I had a significant emotional event when my Lilly white ass went to East High in 1963-65.  There, the classes were at least 50% black.  The "N-Word" was never to cross you lips out loud.  It didn't matter what the Oakies and Arkies in Dog Patch called them.  I am not going to say it was tough at East High but one of the rich kids was robbed at knife point in the locker room after gym class. 

I guess in a lot of ways you could call me a Pollyanna.  Just as I have always felt that there was enough room for everyone to get recognition, I felt there was room for success. I for one always clapped when people of any color were recognized for their hard work. Perhaps I am an aberration of the way it is.  I think that a good education, hard work and a smile helped me make my way to the status of at least "the Cream of the Crap."  I am one happy dude right here where I am and think it would have to change a lot to make me feel bad about my lot in life.

Can you see the smile on my face?

MUD 

No comments:

Post a Comment