6/09/2014

First Time for Everything

Barb and I have two places we buy meat.  One is the HiVee Store in Lawrence and the other is Sam's Club.  We have eaten some wonderful meats from both of the stores and it is unusual to have anything less than spectacular.  When Barb looked at the steaks at Sam's club and saw the price, she bought eye of the round steaks instead of the usual Rib Eye.  Not a good choice.  Perhaps if I had marinated them longer, they would have been less tough but they did make a pretty good beef and noodles dinner.  I think that it is fair to say tasty but tough.  The only other way they would have been really top notch was as a Swiss steak.  That's the way my mother would cover less than spectacular cuts of meat when we were kids. 

The other day I posted on Facebook a short list of my favorite movies.  I think Shaw Shank Redemption, Dances with Wolves, and Forrest Gump are right up there at the top of my list.   I will watch  them again and again.  There were a lot of other movies listed by others but without any little children here at Rabbit Run chances are I won't see Frozen or any of the newer children's movies.  In the past, I watched western and about anything that had combat in it.  I am about over that when I saw a remake of the Dirty Dozen that was phony as hell.  Not a big fan of musicals even though I am a real fan of music.  Go Figure...

I am afraid that I am getting spoiled on the taste of coffee.  I like a rich dark cup of coffee that doesn't taste burnt or scorched.  I don't want it to taste acidic or sweet, just a good cuppa coffee like I get in most restaurants.  For a while I have been drinking Folgers's but this last can just doesn't have the right stuff.  I did buy it a Sam's club so it might be a little stale.  Not to mention I bought a can that is about twice as big  as I normally do but  as the only coffee drinker here it is bound to go stale long before I finish it.  I will launch myself on a new taste test and see if the local roaster (PT's) has a bean that taste's better.  I will even go so far as to buy a coffee grinder and keep the beans in the freezer and fresher.  We'll see.

On our last trip to the Grocery store, I tried to buy a big old tub of the vanilla ice cream with a fudge ripple.   They were out and I bought chocolate.  I am ashamed to say that I am also turning into an ice cream snob.  I think I need to get some chocolate syrup or hot fudge topping to make it through the rest of the container.  I am enough of a poor kid to not throw it out but I do want it to be better. I guess I'll go to the store sometime today and pick up something. 

This morning, Barb and I had our almost daily "What's on your Agenda" meetings.  It is sad that there is little on my list except a good book.  Oh, there are a lot of things I need to do but the rain almost every other day for a week has made it a soggy doggy out there and the Master gardener loves it.  Her list looks a lot like mine except my hair cut only costs $12.00 and I am not due. 

I guess I have probably spent enough time on here to bore even me.   The other day I started reading a good book and it got my creative juices going.  I wrote a short story about the night we were almost over run with monkeys in Vietnam.  I didn't get a lot of feedback.  Read that story and add a comment if the story was something you liked, or not.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment