6/05/2014

Rain and Great Weather

For a little over a week we had pretty darned hot weather and fairly high humidity.  Today is the start of about a week of 70's and a light breeze.  The only problem with this weather is that when a warm front comes up from the south and it meets a cold front from the north, the air tends to sit and spin here in the heartland.  Having been in a tornado, I fully know what it is like to have your house blown down.  Not the best day of our lives.

This morning it is raining and I can see where the gutters need some work.  I put gutter guards on and mostly it has just made the junk inside hard to see and even harder to clean out.  If I could figure out a way to remove them and use the power washer to clean, things would be better.  Perhaps.   I put in a new window at Dave's house the other day and it was pretty easy to see that climbing up and down a ladder is just not the way old retired farts should pass the time. 

For the second time with a ladder, I have found that I stepped off the second step not the bottom rung.  I would blame it on the bifocals but I'm pretty sure that with my stiff neck, I probably didn't really look behind me.  One real problem of the lack of young kids that need the money and are really willing to work.  One of the kids I had hoped to put to work is with his grandparents in Las Vegas.  I sure hope he comes back to Kansas too tired to volunteer to do that again.

The D-Day landing was 70 years ago tomorrow.  Even the youngest survivors of that War has to be close or past 90.   I never made any large "landings" in the service but going into a hot LZ in Vietnam could increase your pucker factor significantly.   Just a quick quote, "War is Hell."  I would add the Petty Corollary,  "War is Binary, either you get it or you don't."  I would love to say that the well trained soldiers stand a better chance but ask anyone that has been there and they will tell you that training doesn't surpass luck.  I hope you all have a thought or two over this weekend about the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen that helped end WWII.  Just for kicks and giggles, try to remember the families of those service members as they stayed home and worried - a lot. 

Our Chorus Director is going to France tomorrow.  I sure hope he has a good time and the French people try to act nice to a fine young man and his family.  I sent him off this last Tuesday with a couple of dollars and told him to buy the first bottle of wine on me.  I had to give up drinking but that doesn't mean that I  want anyone else to stop.  I laugh and tell people that I come from a family of Large Livers not long livers.   Dad's liver pretty much gave out on him back in the 70's after a bout of Rocky Mountain Tick fever that became hepatitis.  His liver was criss crossed with scar tissue and even a ride in a car hurt.  I remember driving him in Wichita one spring when the pot holes were in bloom and listening to him let slip a small moan every time we hit a pot hole.  Not the way I would want to live.

Oh well, perhaps and perchance there are things that need to be done inside this morning.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment