6/11/2014

Strange Times

I guess there will continue to be a lot of things I don't understand, and increasingly less I understand as I get older.  One of the Headlines in the local paper talked about the 310 million dollar shortfall in the Kansas revenue and why everyone is guessing why?  Duh, they cut the taxes and revenue fell.  Yes, dear one's the Republicans will tell you that cutting taxes will increase revenue but only in an expanding economy. The corollary is that it will not in a stagnant one like we have today.   Guess what?   Guess wrong and you will have a shortfall.  Oh by the way,  that is illegal in Kansas unlike the Feds who can just print more money.

I completely understand the people that think that they can demonstrate and have people hear their side of any cause.  Occupy Wall Street had the headlines for weeks a while back.  What I don't understand is how people think that killing a couple of policemen and then committing suicide in Denver will have anywhere near that same impact?  Life is binary.  Either you are alive or you are dead.  The impact of death is the end of the book on you not some gigantic finale that stamps you as having an impact on the world.  I don't get it.  A friend of mine said one time that he doesn't believe in suicide.  He does believe in taking a gun and shooting the person that made him feel that way.  I can understand that position but not as it applies to a total stranger just to make a point.  I guess the term Dead Right after living through a year in a war zone is not how I roll.

The other day I met a friend I had worked with and we had a nice visit.  He is now working with a local Training school that calls itself a College.  I don't know how that works, but if people are willing to give them money to get training who am I to judge?  

We have the ticket request from KU and the Williams Find.  It appears that this year the KU Men's team should be pretty good.  They replaced two guys who left for the NBA with 4 top rank recruits.   The older players were not bad players and there are two that have a lot of pro potential that remained for at least one more year.  My hope is that Perry Ellis from Wichita stays all four years and finishes his degree.   He is a bright young man that can be a leader no matter what he does post Basketball.  The family has a lot of members that will want to see the Hawks play at Allen Field House so we will probably order four tickets.   If our order gets us in the top tier, it is possible that it could  be $6400 dollars for that privilege.   Oh well, it is only money and we aren't going to starve.

If I were in the NRA leadership, I would do my best to make sure that even in the places where the laws are so strict (NY City, Chicago, California) deaths by guns is happening.  I think the people in those places need to pass laws that make them warm and fuzzy.  What I would ask is that they don't apply their feelings on those of us that live out here in the Heartland.  I agree that the skinner box idea of living in Government Housing is a failing city might even make me want to join a gang and "pop caps."   Just don't make the death of one or two stupid people out of control a rule that you apply to me. 

Better run and see what the day has in store for me.  After three inches of rain it is too muddy to tromp out through the field but if you listen hard, you can hear the grass grow.

MUD



   

No comments:

Post a Comment