9/13/2015

Growing Up Poor

I have often wondered if a good start to the reason I hated being poor was that's the way I grew up.  In my neighborhood, we were probably near the top of the income bracket or as I called it the "Cream of the Crap."  I didn't hate the fact that we were poor as much as I hated not having the money to do what I wanted to do so I got off my butt early and worked.  It took me from 1965 to 1975 to complete my degree but I did it.


I mowed lawns, pumped gas and did odd jobs for a friend of my mother.   One job I was not paid for was feeding the cattle with Mr. Longhoffer but that was not a regular job.  Several times a month I would see him and he would invite me to throw hay out of the back of his truck as he sat in the cab and drank beer.  The real payment for that work was that once in a while I would get an invitation to have one of those wonderful German meals Carrie Longhoffer would make. 

I am so fortunate to have married my wife Barbara.  She helped me save some of the money we made and it is paying off in spades now.  There were a few things I wanted back in the day but there is little today I want.  With that said, there always was a problem knowing the difference between a want and a need. 

Yesterday we went down to the Capitol Building for a Book fair.  After walking through the fair, we went inside and toured the Capitol Building.  It sure looks nice in there.  I guess after all the money we spent redoing it, it should.  Some day in the not too distant future, I am going back to take the building tour and go clear to the top of the dome.  Barbara probably won't want to do that.

I am seeing a lot of Ben Carson's information show up on Facebook and in the Media.  I think it is a shame that he has to follow Obama.  There are a lot of people out there that will not vote for him because we don't think Obama is a great President.  Oh well, we all have things to solve.

Better go get the day started.  Did some beer can chicken yesterday.  It is plenty moist but somehow I haven't figured out how to impart a great taste in chicken cooked that way yet.  Will work on that.

MUD 

No comments:

Post a Comment