6/01/2013

MUD

As I have said on this blog many times I came by the nickname MUD as it is short for Mean Uncle Denny.  It is the appellation given me by a niece that I love and I think she feels the same way about me.  At least she treats me with a lot of kindness.

Yesterday I went to Lawrence to see the movie MUD.  It is a story that takes you away without all the car chases and explosions the movies of today have.  It is a simple story well told.  The main actors are Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Tye Sheridan and Michael Shannon.  The last two are 13 or 14 year old boys having an adventure of their life and Matthew is MUD.  I can't imagine why Reese Witherspoon was cast as the girl friend.  Her part was about as deep as a mud puddle and any first year acting student could have played that part.  In all, the movie is a nice break from action adventure and special effects.   There is a shoot out at the end of the movie but is pretty straight forward and seemed like it was important. (at the time)

The only thing I did notice was the smoking.  Almost everyone smoked but you seldom saw the smoke as they exhaled.  The movie would not have been much different without it and once in a while it was appropriate.  Most of the time it was just not needed to make the scenes better.  

I would give the movie MUD 4 stars out of 5 and think that most of the baby boomers will really enjoy it.  The kids will want Iron Man and special effects but this movie ain't that.  I am not sure if girls will feel the link that I did to the boys but Matthew probably smiled this way in to their minds.

Go see this movie.

MUD, aka Mean Uncle Denny

No comments:

Post a Comment