6/21/2013

Oh Crap!

If there is anyone out there that has never used the "N" Word or used some slur for a minority group, good on ya' mate.  For the rest of us, there was a time when it was more or less acceptable to swear, slur and put down others.  I did and I learned to not do that.  Time and distance wounds all heels.  I think I was an equal opportunity offender and got my butt pounded many times for not watching my mouth. 

The other day, someone said that Paula Dean's career is probably over because in the past she used the "N" word.  Hell, she gave herself diabetes by using so much sugar and butter in the cooking and if that didn't kill her or end her career, I doubt that past transgressions will.  Would you rather that she lie in a legal proceeding or tell the truth.  Half the world claims to be forgiven for all sorts of sins and surely this barely hits the meter of importance.  It is not what she did in 1987, but how she is today.  She reminds me of my mother and her smile and laugh makes me feel good to hear and see.  She would be welcome in my home anytime but she would have to be polite to everyone.

In my career, I worked with and supervised many people.  There was a gay female I knew and it didn't make me any mind.  She went on to a fine career in the Military before "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." There is one Black General that was a battalion commander of mine in Vietnam that I loved to work with because of his fine way he treated people.  I didn't respect him because he was black, he deserved it because of the strength of his character and hard work. 

Back in the day as an instructor of a Call Center Company, I found a quote from Rabbi Hillel the Elder.  It went something like, be careful of your speech, as it may become your thoughts.  Be careful of your thoughts as they may become your actions.  Be careful of your actions as they may become your character.  Thank god that didn't become my fate.  I was a pretty raucous young man and it took a lot of hard work to overcome some of the things that crossed my young mind.  I sure hope that no one throws this back in my face as who I am today and tries to bar me from something.

In the words of Groucho Marks, "I am not sure that I would want to belong to a club that would have someone like me as a member."  The other great philosophy I use is the Popeye principle.  "I yam what I yam..."  If that isn't good enough, I am not going to apologize for my youthful transgressions and don't think you should either.  Let those sleeping dogs lie,  Like most of us, I do too.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment