12/29/2012

Wintertime Cooking

One of the things I love about wintertime is that if you are bored you can always cook a pot of soup.  We try to stock up on the basic ingredients when we shop and are seldom out of everything.  I have canned stocks, stocks in a carton and bullion (Beef and Chicken) on hand most of the time.  I find the petite diced tomatoes add a great flavor to any soup.  Leftovers are the main ingredient.  I don't get to use my smoked turkey or the pork roast in the soups as they wind up in the enchiladas I love.  Throw a pkg of frozen shrimp in the freezer and a couple pounds of potatoes in the pantry and you can whip up a good soup about anytime.

For the Petty family dinner, I made a fancy pot of soup using collard greens and Kale.  Last night I made frozen cut leaf spinach with dinner and it hit me that it would have been just as good in the soup and much easier. I have found that our local grocery store has started carrying strips of peppers and one had the pkgs of the trinity or onions, celery and carrots. I couldn't get the spell checker to even recognize the french term. 

This morning I made the snickers dip for our New years bash.  It is basically cream cheese, frozen dessert topping and ground up snickers bars.  I have graham crackers to use as the dipping tool.  I may buy a couple of granny smith apples when I am out today.  I have made the same dip using shrimp and Green onions but Barb doesn't like shrimp much.  

Oh well, better get cracking or cooking and get on with my day.

Who Goes There?

MUD


No comments:

Post a Comment