8/17/2012

Where to Go?

Barb and I got married in las Vegas, NV in 1968.  I was about to leave for Vietnam and I convinced her that we needed to get married.  That means that next year, we will celebrate our 45th year together.  Barb has kind of decided that we need to go somewhere to celebrate.  Our anniversary is in February so the emphasis will be on someplace warm.  

Initially we kind of thought that Hawaii might be a good place to go but it is kind of expensive and we really want someplace that is different.  Costa Rica is one place that kind of looks good and there is always Belize or Cuba.  Even Puerto Rico has been discussed.  I had a chance to go Puerto Rico years ago on a National Guard Conference and turned it down.  Back in the 80's, it wasn't the safest place.  But with that said, I went to Panama in 96 so I guess things just don't scare me as much as the idea of being there with the wife. 

One thing we have started doing is to take Road Scholar trips.  They were Elderhostal earlier but they morphed the name because the name brought up visions of sharing beds in dormitories.  Most of the time you stay in pretty good places and the food is almost always excellent.  I love the photography workshops because they always take you places that are interesting and you don't spend too many hours in a class room having someone discuss granite.  Because most good photo shots are taken early or late, they do sometimes make you feel like you a re burning your candle at both ends.  The good news is they don't make you go to each shoot.  You can sneak in an afternoon nap or sleep in for an early shoot.  There are a couple of bike trips they sponsor but the idea of riding 40 miles in one day is just a little further than Barb can mentally picture herself doing. 


Farmer's Tan on biker mud

We are going to Gulf Shores, AL next month for a week with several of my family members.  I am really looking forward to the trip and we will probably take our bikes on the back of the car.  I do have to remove the front wheel to keep it from sticking out on the side.  My bike is about a foot longer than the Ford is wide.  I sure hope they have some good bike paths.  I don't especially want to ride in the sand.  My bike has a tendency to over steer because of the steering geometry and I fall down in sandy places.  Been there, done that.

All in all, I really don't care where we go so long as it is warm and we can do something different.  I'm sure that Barb will find a great place and it will be cheap enough for her tastes.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment