5/12/2010

Bierocks

For as long as I can remember, one of the family dinner treats was Bierocks or German Kraut rolls. They are a mixture of hamburger, onions, cabbage and garlic wrapped up in a dinner roll and baked. I read somewhere that the German farmers would carry them in their lunch pails as the went to the field to work. Most German farmers lived in villages and the farms were a 4 or 5 mile tractor ride so they stayed in the field at lunch. I am pretty sure that the Germans used Kraut not cabbage and I have been told stories that rabbit was the filling in lean times.

We have about 100, no 97, no probably 96, by now on the counter ready to eat. We will run them into the oven just long enough to heat them up and give them the final golden browning. (Might even slather them with a little butter)

Mom's other favorite is pie. We have 7 or 8 pies ordered at the the Copper Oven here in Topeka. They make the best pie I have ever eaten. There will be some baked beans and potato salad with some chips but the bierocks and pie are the main course.

The weather is so variable right now. We were planning to do the memorial service at the cemetery but the weatherman is predicting rain all day with heavy rain later. We will make the call to have it here or there later. I would love to have it all here but I know many from out of town would like to see where mother is buried.

have a great day out there.

The Bierock baker - MUD

1 comment:

  1. So jealous! Those are my favorites. Grandma Ike and Grandma Petty would always make them for my birthday. I need to know how to make them fo r Austin.

    ReplyDelete