11/19/2006

Thanksgiving, Then and Now















This the propaganda photograph from WWII to help the Servicemen remember what they were fighting for. It is the Grandma and Grandpa serving a Turkey to the family gathered around the table for a Thanksgiving feast. The CBS Sunday Morning program said that we have gone a long way from the traditional meals. There were several statistics quoted about the success of the kids that ate Thanksgiving in the old traditional manner. I think they left out the most important factor and that is a family that cares enough to get together and talk to each other.
They said that the most normal meal nowadays is a rushed sandwich with a cell phone in one hand and a coke to wash down the bites so you could talk to someone else eating a sandwich some where else. I had a great photo of Hillary Clinton eating a sandwich and my computer said it just couldn't process the picture request. Must be a conservative computer. The TV program went on to say that the normal diet today is about 2700 calories with a lot of that coming from the large soft drinks made with high fructose Corn Syrup. This is up by over 20% from the 1970's.
No wonder that the Diet Centers are swamped right after the First of the year. I can remember the first 16 oz. soft drink and it was more than most people wanted to drink. On a hot day a big cold soft drink was my drink of choice. Today I would rather have a big glass of unsweetened tea. ( In between times it was beer but I have recovered from that)
I will feed somewhere between 10 and 14 people Thursday and will have a ball. This size group is small enough that we will have time to visit and enjoy the company as well as the meal. For those in Tulsa I will do a start time of about 3 PM so there will be time for you to get up here.
Eat and be merry, keep your powder dry, don't count your chickens (or turkeys) and have fun.
Dennis

2 comments:

  1. We'll also being eating about 3pm. 9 of us in my tiny house. I'm sure we will have great conversation as we will all sit around one table (I'm moving the couch to make room for a bigger table in the livng room). We also will have 4 generations represented from Alan's folks to Kim's boys. We'll miss you all of you in Topeka but will keep you in our thoughts.
    Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,Mud, would you like me to send some wheat grass juice up there with Rebecca to keep you all good and healthy?
    Just kidding. Have a Happy Thanksgiving (which is my birthday BTW).

    ReplyDelete