2/13/2009

New Adventure

I'm off on a new adventure. I started classes yesterday to be a Master Foods Volunteer. (MFV) I am not sure what part my volunteerism will take but I know that I am always willing to speak to groups and in spite of the comments to the contrary, I am willing to write about things I love. I think with the large number of baby boomers thinking about retirement in the not too distant future, I will look into the diet related weight and health factor. For example, most of us don't have a clue what the food we eat is in terms of the total calories we need. If you could eat about the right amount, and then cut 100 calories a day you could lose 10 pounds next year. Now I'm not talking about Jarred kind of weight losses, but to turn the weight war around would be an accomplishment.

The nice thing is that in my circle of friends, there are few people that don't love to eat. I think the adjustment must come in what we eat and how much of what we love we eat. I know that it is painfully aware to me that the amount of meat I eat at one sitting is way out of whack. I should be eating an amount of meat that could cover the palm of my hand. 4 to 8 OZ is max. I typically order and eat at least a 12 OZ steak when given a choice. I eat like a truck driver when I am simply a truck owner.

The first day of class was an informational day and we spent most of it learning about the food pyramid and nutrition. A good deal of time was spent discussing the nutritional information on the side of most food boxes and what it means. We also got to see several examples of how the use of some words on the front doesn't match the side panel. Words like Healthy, natural and Organic might lead you down the wrong path. I guess when you compare a box of Bisquick with the Heart Healthy Bisquick it does look good. There is another product by Hogston Mills that is just a better buy. There is also a whole grain spin out there that makes products better but not everyone wants to eat Triscit and Bales of shredded wheat for every meal.

I have a lot to learn and am looking forward to doing some menu planning and "thin" cooking. I hope that I don't bore you with the details of this new hobby. I might even try to spin up some interest in what effect this has on my own weight. Whatever I do, I won't make it a fad diet that lets me eat a million pounds of bacon and lose weight. I want to have a sustainable lifestyle. Darn it!

MUD

4 comments:

  1. That fad diet you mentioned is very dangerous for some people. Danny's uncle didn't know he was diabetic and started that diet. He had a stroke. Then, because he was too stubborn to make the lifestyle changes (red meat, alcohol, and sweets) the doctors told him were necessary, he died a few months later. He was only about 60 and in pretty good shape other than his diet. It's more important than people realize, but so hard to change.

    This new adventure sounds like a lot of fun! I love to eat, too, and I know where my problems lie. I don't eat enough fruits and veggies and I need to learn portion control and to be consistent. I'll go most of the day without eating much and then I'll over-do it on dinner if it's something I love. Even if that something I love is healthy (spicy sweet potato soup, black bean and sweet potato burritoes, aloo gobi), I don't need to eat two or three helpings, no matter what my tastebuds are telling me. If I ate smaller meals more consistently, I know I would drop this extra 15 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shoot! I forgot to say that I've got a pancake mix recipe that I like better than any boxed mix. It's very basic and easy to adapt to your own tastes.
    4 cups flour (I use 2 white and 2 wheat, but you can try other types or proportions.)
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    Sift together and store in an airtight container till ready to use.

    To make pancakes:
    2 c. pancake mix
    2 c. milk (can use all or part buttermilk, plain yogurt, sour cream, or cottage cheese that has been through a blender)
    4 eggs

    Just before adding milk and eggs, stir in the following if you want to make it healthier. I never measure these ingredients. Just do what looks right and experiment with amounts.
    ground or whole flax seeds
    wheat germ
    nutritional yeast flakes

    Of course you can also add lots of different fruits and even nuts or sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, if someone wants to drop weight by the truckloads, all they have to do is NOT EAT potatoes. Not kidding. But, who wants to do that?

    Oh, and they have to occasionally get winded. Like every single day that rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:43 AM

    Uh-oh... I take it this means ice cream is now off limits? Suffice to say, Grissy ain't gonna be pleased with you.

    ReplyDelete