1/02/2011

Advice for Day Three

TRANSPORTATION is just that. Your car really doesn't make a statement about you unless you listen to the drivel the Car Manufacturers say in their advertising. In the most recent past, Barb has looked in the paper and on line for the cars we bought. Let me state the obvious reasons we came out ahead on the 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. It had only 18,000 miles on it and it was less than half of the cost of a new car. The Insurance rate on the car was also less than half and the Property Taxes were commensurate with the value of the car. The first year alone, I estimate we saved over $10,000 on the purchase price and probably $1,500 on the insurance and taxes. (Don't forget the almost 10% sales tax on the additional $10,000 would have added a grand to the cost) The car is a dream on the highway and we have averaged almost 20 MPG around town and 25 on the highway. Barb made a similar purchase on her 1997 Buick Skylark and it has saved us a ton. Buy Used and save. I won't even mention the hassle Auto dealers figure into their car prices. Why the hell they think I'm responsible for the paper work cost is beyond me. Don't get me started on Dealer prep on a car. What the hell did they think? Would you drive a car right off the transport truck?

I have always loved old cars but there is a limit to my desire to drive one. Most of them have a lousy heater, no air conditioning, rattle and roll poorly. Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium where the safety features outweigh the problems. Dave said he has as his goal to own a car that was made in the current decade. With the number of miles he puts on his car each year, I can't say I blame him on that one. It is also nice that we can fix anything on his 2004 Malibu and have fixed most things at least once. It is also nice that he can come by here and take the Ford if they need to get out of town. He had accepted the fact that I will not stand for him to drive around with poor tires. Good tires and good brakes are a minimum.

Get a great car and have a great trip.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment