11/24/2009

FOOD TALK

For some reason, it seems that a lot of people out there are plumb fed up with politics and I am getting a lot more attention when I post talk about food. I guess when the days turn shorter our bodies just scream to eat more and get ready for the winter weather. What holiday says food better than Thanksgiving?

Step one was to find a turkey that was big enough to feed four people and leave enough left overs for later. Step two was to put that critter in the Fridge to thaw. This morning I got up and performed step three, brine that sucker. I will leave it in the solution of salt, sugar and a few spices until about noon when I will start a fire on the grill for the smoke magic. In case you are a new reader, I was very lucky to find this property about 20 years ago. The land the house is on sits right in a grove of shag bark hickory. That means that all I have to do each year is to cut up one small tree and I have enough hickory to cook all season. I will probably smoke the turkey this year. About noon on Wednesday, I put all the coals on the up wind side and put a brined turkey on the down wind side. The lid has holes on that side and that forced the smoke over the bird as it exits the Webber grill. When I get the turkey done to the point that the outer surface is almost black, I will take it inside to sit in the fridge for at least one night. I will reheat the bird in the oven on Thursday. That period gives the smoke a chance to permeate the meat with all that wonderful hickory flavor. The beauty of a Webber grill is that while it will let the wood burn, it won't flame, only smoke. I am going to put the tail of the turkey over the hot coals and see if that will drip some fat to make an even sweeter smoke.

Sully commented about my garlic smashed potatoes. I cook a whole head of garlic right in the water as I cook the potatoes. I do break it up a little and mash each clove with the flat side of a knife. When the potatoes are done, I put a stick of butter, a package of cream cheese a little milk and mash the whole mess up. I do wash and cut the taters up but I don't skin 'em. A little salt and pepper to taste and serve 'em while they are hot.

We will have a green bean casserole (Just like it calls for on the package of the French fried Onions. Why mess with a good thing.

I will take the savory sage and the cornbread Stovetop stuffing, add some onions, celery, sausage and use chicken broth rather than water. If there is time and oven space, I will heat it up in the oven. If not, I will heat up the broth in the Microwave. I will precook the onions, sausage and celery either way.

There will be pies a baking, I think we have a pumpkin and our daughter-in-law will bring one of her famous pecan pies. (If'n it ain't pronounced pee-can, it probably is one of those damn Yankee wannabee pies) I read that the average American eats 8 slices of pie a year. I wonder how many of you slackers are not eatin' you share. Heck, I have already had 8 pieces in the last two months and there is an entire holiday season left.

My preference for the fruit salad would be to make it a Waldorf but the kids aren't that into mayonnaise or whipped topping. Probably will be a honey crisp and giant red grape fruit salad.

Sound like enough? Oh, did I mention the rolls with real butter? I think Ijust gained five pounds writin' about this meal.

MUD

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:18 AM

    ooooh!!! Your turkey is going to be fabulous! I've never tried a brine or smoking one.

    Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MUD, have a wonderful day. Give yourself & Barb a hug from the Reeves clan.

    ReplyDelete