5/05/2012

Engrish

Yep'er, I am enthralled with the Engrish language as you can tell.  The only part that I have trouble with is the spell checker doesn't recognize about half of what I write.  It does OK when I use the wrong word and spell it correctly, it is all those strange usage things (idioms?) that it objects to.  For example the first word in this post was red lined when I wrote it.  I added it to my dictionary and moved on smartly. I wonder how many of those words are misused and or misspelled and you have to slog through.  One of the things I do is to make the words large and then look for the red lines under the misspelled words. 

 About a month back, I wrote a lot about my Military Service.  The spell checker doesn't know an acronym from apple butter.  I spent about half my time writing and the other half editing.  OK, just adding words to the dictionary isn't really editing but hey, this is my blog and I can call it what I want.   Kinda (Mom's word) like when my mother would make a meal in one pot someone would always say - What is this?   Mom would say, "I cooked it, I don't have to name it!"


Just this last week someone took offense at my Mom's cooking on Facebook.  The young kids only remember Mom's chili disaster where she made Chili with cinnamon.  Just so you know, don't try that at home.  I have added a pinch of chocolate to my chili but the pungent spice of cinnamon does a whole lot better on sweet rolls than in chili. A cup of cinnamon is a taste disaster in the happening.   My mother made the best Bedrocks in the world.  He combination of cabbage, hamburger, onion, garlic, salt and pepper wrapped up in a great roll was a treat that people would show up at our house for. Mom learned this from our German neighbors the Longhoffers and  continued to try to make it better each time.  If I were to get to pick my last meal, it would be a pot of Mom's beans with a side of cornbread and one bieroak.  

So far, I am making good progress on my attempt to keep diabetes at bay.  I am down about 17 lbs in about a month and hope to continue to get skinnier until I hit about - 30 lbs.  I will be the first to admit that I have my failings but for the most part, Barbara keeps me on the straight and narrow as defined by Weight Watchers.  It doesn't hurt that it is springtime and the asparagus is working full time to keep out larder full.    Just this morning, Barb made an omelet with onions, asparagus, ham and a little cheese.  Great stuff.  Has this Blog gone over to the food side? 


Oh well, better get on with things.  PS, on our afternoon outing, Barb wanted to have a sundae with hot chocolate, caramel and nuts.  I broke down and had a buster bar.


MUD


1 comment:

  1. Spell checker got you again with "bedrocks", don't know how tasty they really are. :o) rayi

    ReplyDelete