4/19/2010

Mom's Status

It is pretty clear to me that mom's not doing well and everything is slowing down. She doesn't really eat anything and is drinking pretty limited fluids. She was very weak and it was hard to understand her. She asked for a pain pill and about 6 PM crashed asleep. They have her on oxygen and she is getting 3 liters what ever the heck that means. Her oxygen level was down to 82 and her blood pressure was back up to 92 over 72 from 72 over 42 earlier today.

Rick has contacted Hospice and they are coming in to assist mom. In fact the nurse came in today when we were there and did a full eval. Mom could last until tomorrow or for another week. I don't have a way to guage this all I have is Rick's judgement that she doesn't have long.

Let me one of the first to tell you that Mom has lived a full life and has a family that she loves and is proud of. The last thing Mom wants is for her death to be heavy burden on you. She would tell you to focus on the good things we have had and the good times we have shared. If you really try hard, there is enough Petty memories to get you past the first cry. Mom and I have discussed her passing on many occasions. The only real hard thing she has asked for is the large fork to clutch on her chest. She said that all the times at the church meals the ladies would say save your fork, good things are coming. I will give you more details as they develop. It looks like there will be services in Oklahoma done by Lloyd Allen and a grave side service in Topeka.

MUD

5 comments:

  1. I would rather have a spoon for all the puddings! Best wishes and I hope your Mum has a peaceful passing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom loves pie. No cake, pie.
    MUD

    ReplyDelete
  3. MUD, you, Barb, the kids, grandkids, and siblings are in our prayers.

    I love that story about the fork.

    Peace be upon you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be there so bad. Please kiss her for me. I always assumed she'd live forever, and I would never have to say goodbye to her. I just want to crawl up in her lap and listen to her tell stories or watch westerns together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last thing I did before I left was to give her a kiss for all of you. We will always have her in our hearts and can watch old movies with her. I will think of her every time I eat a piece of pie, hear laughter and those old standards from Church. The old Rugged Cross, Nearer My God to thee and you can skip Amazing grace on the bag pipes. For some reason she said "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah" and I san it but for the life of us, we couldn't rfemember who it was. I told her it was probably Burt Reynolds because he liked Dinah Shpre and she smiled. MUD

    ReplyDelete