6/19/2009

Little Known Dennis.Petty facts

  • I grew up listening to a radio in the evening not watching TV. In fact I didn't have a color TV until about 1975.
  • In spite of all the trouble I managed to get into as a kid, I read books like a monster. I'll bet I fought every battle in the Civil War through the Minneha School Library Biography's.
  • In spite of my career sitting behind a desk, I love to tinker with mechanical things.
  • John Wayne didn't make a movie that I haven't seen. I guess that makes me a closet cowboy.
  • I wore a uniform from 1966 to 1997. From the rank of Private to Colonel over the years.
  • Somewhere about 1955, a TV actor in Wichita, Deputy Dusty Rhodes showed cowboy movies each weekday about 3:30 for an hour and a half. I seldom missed participating in the saving of the fair maiden and the killing of bad guys and Indians. No, I don't hate Indians.
  • All my time in combat I never aimed a rifle and shot an enemy. I have found blood trails where the enemy was wounded or killed and the VC or NVA carried off the bodies from my artillery. In one instance we went back and searched for graves after an artillery ambush on an old position. Not fun in the heat of a jungle.

Heck, I can't even think of many more facts than these this morning. Perhaps later. I'm not sure why yesterday's post sounded so negative. I am really not depressed. I have an fridge full of meat to BBQ this weekend and am looking forward to spending time with the family.

MUD

1 comment:

  1. I love John Wayne movies. The Quiet Man is my all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete