6/03/2009

Zaalouk

Several People have asked for the recipe of the Egg Plant dip. I want to assure you that Barb and I had never tried anything with Egg Plant and were very surprised that this tasty hot dip was so good. Now if there was a local bakery that could do a bread that is worthy of dipping this fine meal. There is one error in the recipe below and that half of the recipe fed only one really hungry guy not two. It is a kind of vegetable chili dip and might even go good over corn chips or with corn Chips as a dipping sauce.



Zaalouk
Yields: 4 Servings
2 med. Eggplants
2 med. Tomatoes, diced
2 Tbs Olive Oil
4 cloves Garlic, minced
2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Ground Ginger
¼ tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbs Tomato Paste
Salt to taste
Sprig of Parsley
1. Cook eggplants over open fire, turning often until skin turns flaky and grayish in
color. Cut off vine and remove skin. Place in bowl and mash completely with fork.
Set aside.
2. In saute pan, add tomatoes and olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and spices. Mix completely.
4. Add tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
5. Combine tomato mixture with eggplant.
6. Top with sprig of parsley and serve with fresh bread.
MUD

3 comments:

  1. MUD, you da man! I was telling The Mrs. about it this morning, and she's down for giving it a try.

    Thank you my friend. Man, I love eggplant. In fact, later on today I will post the recipe for The Mrs.' world-famous eggplant parmesan...trust me, you will not be disappointed.

    We had a bunch of teenagers staying here last Summer, and she baked it with some fresh from the garden. Most of those kids had never had eggplant...they were hooked.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I have eggplant in the garden this year. I also have a recipe for a FANTASTIC eggplant parmesan if you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on this one, thanks MUD.

    ReplyDelete