8/26/2010

Credo

The Opinion page today in the Topeka Capital Journal had what a writer reported as the Official US Creed. Wrong! a Creed is a statement of a religious belief a Credo is a founding belief or fundamental guide. Other than that one minor fact, what the US House of representatives adopted in 1918 as written by William Tyler Page is a pretty good place to start your day.

" I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people and for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.
I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its constitution; to obey its laws; to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies."

If you were to open up my heart and mind and read the synthesis of what I have tried to live like, the above words are my mission statement. You would find the Petty Corollary about loving your family, getting a good education, working hard and finding ways to laugh added but the above words are where I would like the world to be.

What do you stand for?

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment