6/24/2008

Penny Candy

In the 1950's, a really nice woman opened a store in our neighborhood and I thought I had died and one to heaven. Mr Womack's new store had two at least 30 foot glass cases stacked up and so full of candy that the choices were just too much for a small child to pick the right ones. In fact most of the time unless you had a favorite, you would just tell her you wanted a nickel's worth of candy. If you were rick a dime's worth. She would go down the line and fill a small sack. Here are some of the one's I remember the best:
  • Jaw Breakers. You could eat on a jaw breaker for an hour. I'm sure that trying to crunch one also hurt my teeth.
  • Wax tubes filled with sugar water. Some were shaped like little coke bottles.
  • Supper Bubble. Much better than Double Bubble but Double bubble had little comics in them.
  • Malted Milk Balls. two for a penny. After a while they made smaller one's in a tube of cellophane.
  • Dots on wax paper.
  • Pixie Sticks. One time I breathed when I poured one of the lime one's in my mouth. I think I coughed for a week.
  • Caramels.
  • Necco Wafers. Sugar pressed into a candy and wrapped in a wax paper.
  • Licorice. I just loved the black and a lot of the girls liked the red. Later they had cherry but it was just red when I was little.
I'm sure there are a hundred kinds of candy that I just don;t remember the name of. I would go out and pick up pop bottles to change into candy. What were some of your favorite?

The price I paid is that today I have a mouth full of crowns because the candy and poor brushing habits but hey, it was the way we lived back then.

MUD

4 comments:

  1. Uhmmmmmm - pixie sticks and wax coke bottles - you take me back to my childhood in Alabama.
    Thanks for the memories.
    ~Mad(elyn) in Alabama
    www.xanga.com/madewyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved those candy dots stuck on paper. Our 5 & Dime had a giant bin with all of the flavors of Jolly Ranchers seperated - LOVED that. The flat, round caramels that have that bit of white icing in the middle. And the nougats that had pictures on them. Oh and yes, the Necco wafers! And wax lips, why did we like wax lips? I loved the giant packages of Bazooka Bubble Gum with the 2x3 sized cartoon card in them. What about those gum drops that were shaped like sliced fruit? Loved those, and regular gum drops too. DH sends me out every few years to track down and buy some of the big gum drops for him to gorge on.
    Not much chocolate, mostly hard candy and gum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pixie sticks were my FAVORITE!!!! That and Sweet Tarts. Mmmm! Oh! And those candy bottle caps! But I hated the root beer flavored ones. And candy cigarettes! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoppers, green apple Jolly Ranchers, and good black licorice were some of my favorites--still are. Have you tried the strawberry Whoppers? I can't decide which I like better, the original or the strawberry. Jelly Belly buttered popcorn jelly beans are a more recent favorite that they didn't have when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete