6/05/2008

Tornado Threat

If you lived in the Heartland and didn't live under a rock, you could walk outside and just know the threat for serious weather is high. The convergance of warm moist air from the south and an active cold front from the north is upon us and is almost a match for the 1974 period that brought us almost 30 tornado outbreaks. The picture above is what you will see if there has been a lot of rain and the tornado is over anything but a plowed field. In fact one small one like the one that destroyed our house in 1983 is hard to see in the city. It is those dramatic F-4s that suck up plowed ground and are black like licorice that get all the press. In fact I saw our tornado from about three blocks away and it looked like a flock of drunk birds. It took me a while to realize that those birds were shingles and when I saw a roof explode and the couch cushions in the funnel were a good warning to get my ass inside and hide.

The part of the weather that really makes me leery is wind blowing from several directions and changing quickly. We are having 30 MPH gusts and the trees are doing a modern dance ballet to the nutcracker called Myrah. Don't ask me what that means, I just made it up.

I hope we escape bad weather but if there is, just remember that you read about it here.

MUD

2 comments:

  1. I awoke this morning wondering what a flock of drunk birds looks like, now I know, a small tornado.

    It is currently 106 degrees or more here in SW Oklahoma, with a slight breeze of approximately 30 miles per hour with 45 mile per hour gusts. Golf? Out of yon question. Walking is pretty hard, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:07 PM

    oooh! Stay safe blog friend!!!

    ReplyDelete